Sunday, February 2, 2014

Just when you're least expecting it. . .

The week before this one was rough.
As in calling my mom and crying about how I was so lonely and bored.
It was a low moment.
And it wasn't that there weren't people around me. My floor is full of nice people.
It's just that last semester, almost every weekend looked something like this:
Marching band.
I was always doing marching band and it came to be what filled every week day from 3:30-5:30 and every Saturday from 8-4. I liked it too! 
Of course, there were the seemingly unbearable summer days where I'd shower twice because I was so sweaty, and those days were I just wanted to put my drum down, but we had to do it "one more time,"
but all in all, I loved the friends I made, the camaraderie, and the great feeling of accomplishment that came after each performance. (Also, it was a great workout!)
So when I came back from break and my roommate had a job and a boyfriend (they're cute!), I had a 14 credit hr. schedule (never again by the way. I had 17 last semester with marching band and it was fine.), and I didn't have marching band, I was beside myself. Miranda wasn't around as much and I had very little to no homework in all of my classes. I was bored. 
I know, I know. 
"Go find something to do!"
"You have more time for yourself!"
"You can't be bored in this big, great world!"
Yes, and no.
Maybe a better word would have been lonely. I was lonely too.
My days generally went like this:
Class, lunch, class, sitting in room for extended periods of time doing things like watching Netflix and Youtube or organizing, or doing both at the same time, dinner, back in room, go to bed. 
Many people don't bat an eye at having all this free time.
MORE TIME TO HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS!!!
Well, I don't "hang out" well with many people. Especially spontaneously. I also don't like big groups.
When I called my mom, she basically told me
1. I can understand why you're feeling lonely and bored. You're just not used to all of the differences.
2. You can't stay in your room all day, even if you think you want to.
3. Go intentionally do things with others, and I'll be calling and asking about what you did.
So I did. I wrote down what I did that weekend that was intentionally people-y.
Saying hi! Eating with a group of girls at dinner! Leaving my door open when I'm in my room!
I continued to try to be intentional throughout the week.
God helped me out a lot this week.
In fact this weekend has made me slap happy. It's a little ridiculous, especially considering that I was basically hanging out with people for most of the time.
Here's why:
I got a bid for Kappa Kappa Psi, which is the honorary band fraternity. (i.e. it's not associated with the Greek groups on campus). I was so honored. This weekend was the initiation of sorts. It was so fun and mysterious and exciting.  Each of the seven "prospective members" was paired with a "Big Brother" from the chapter. My Big Brother's name is Erin and she is wonderful! We are percussion buddies and she's even from kinda near my hometown! Here are some pictures of the evening!

Erin and me!
We like cookies!
Nathaniel and me!
Carly and me! (She's a bass drummer too!)
This whole weekend has just made me pretty slap-happy in general.
It's totally a God thing, and I could go on and on, but I'll sum up the weekend like this:
Saturday: Kappa Kappa Psi
Sunday: Church, lunch with 4 awesome guys, and a Superbowl party

Moral of the story: If you're open to change, you'll begin to realize the change wasn't as difficult as you were expecting, and you're a lot happier on the other side. Sometimes a little slap-happy. :)

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you for stepping outside of your comfy zone ;) Love you lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kara! ! I'm proud of you. That is a very hard thing to do, go out and meet new people. Next time may not be as great as this time but keep stepping out, maybe next time you will touch someone just like you who is having a hard time or maybe you'll just meet your new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! Still psyched about your new fraternity

    ReplyDelete