Monday, August 12, 2013

"Ready for College?"

Am I ready for college?

Duh. Let's see where I've been. I'll tell you why.

(My answer in 3 parts!)

Part 1. My life will begin. Duh.

I love Tangled. Rapunzel is da bomb.

In all honesty, I'm ready for this wait to be over. My life evidently starts NOT when I graduate high school, but when I start college. After 18 years, 9 months, 7 days, 5 hours, and 14 minutes of living, my life will begin when I start my first day of college. So one can understand my impatience, right? Uh huh.

Part 2. I'm no longer afraid. Let's see where I've been.

This kid is my spirit animal, I swear.

Three years ago, I was completely terrified at the idea of college. I mean, I would have to do so much, and I was scared of every little thing. You want examples? Yeah you do.
   -I would be all alone. My family would let me suffer and fail all alone.
   -I would be in charge of my money. Money and I don't get along well with the phrase "smart choices". I like stuff too much.
   -I would be all alone. I would have no friends.
   -There was no guarantee that I would make it to college. I could flunk out my senior year. It could happen!
   -I don't even know where to go to school.
   -Debt is bad.
   -Frat parties scare me.

Depressing, no? I was a lost case. But that's what you get when you enter into the mind of a panicked fifteen year old. Ugh. Thank goodness that year is behind me. I now know that my fifteen year old self was a panicked fool. I shall prove myself wrong!
   -I'll be two hours away. Away does not mean gone.
   -In charge of money? I've had a job these past 3 years, and I haven't been overdrawn or bankrupt once. I know I will make mistakes, which is the entire point of growing up. I'll learn. And I have Dave Ramsey to guide my way!
   -This lie is so full of bull, I can't even. My best friend is going to be FOUR. DOORS. DOWN. I have two friends that I met at orientation that I'll chill with, and my future room mate seems pretty awesome. (I swear. Sometimes I would like to rent a time machine so I could slap my past self.)
   -Welp. I've graduated. And I was on honor role. Cross that sucker off the list.
   -Again, I figured it out. I'm going to the best school in the world when it comes to English/Creative Writing. With in-state tuition. Public school in-state tuition, no less.
   -Yup. I agree with myself. But having debt is something I'm going to use all of my power to try to avoid.
   -Lookie there. Another thing that I want to avoid. Hey, younger me, there's this thing called you don't need to go to those. Novel idea.

Blah. I was a terribly depressed child who was setting herself up for failure. Thank goodness that's over. But it is fun to see how I've grown and changed.

Part 3. I am ready. I'll tell you why.

I have one of the most amazing people coming with me to Iowa City. She's amazing, and goodness knows we'll have plenty of fun. And tragedy, since I hear the homework load is way different than high school. I have a great friend, and she'll keep me in line.

I also have pretty much everything I need for college. Besides that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Equestria Girls DVD. But I promised myself that I would wait to get it. Even though it's really testing my patience. But yeah. Sheets, a comfy chair, books, movies, my computer, laundry stuff, school supplies, a nice planner. I have everything I need.

There are some classes that I can't wait to take. Not to mention my classes don't start until the afternoon on Mondays!

And the main reason I'm ready for collegiate life? I'm ready for my "life to start". I see where I've been and that I'm no longer afraid. And now I've told you why.


2 comments:

  1. Billie, Billie, Billie.... You+Me+The Doctor+TARDIS = us going back and slapping our former selves... let's do it!!

    Seriously - you rock... I'm so glad I've gotten to know you. I love your heart - thanks for putting it out there. And, I hate to break it to you, but life REALLY starts when you get out of college... LOL.... no, seriously life starts when you start living it... don't wait for anything... live Billie live! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post. I resonate with it.

    ReplyDelete