Sunday, June 16, 2013

S.O.A.R.ing at Northwest Missouri State

Yesterday was S.O.A.R. at NWMSU. S.O.A.R. stands for Student Orientation And Registration, and I can say that I was both orientated and registered throughout the course of the day. It was a three hour drive down, so Dad and I left bright and early at 5 a.m.! (Yawn!)
The biggest part of the day was getting our schedules, and I was really excited about it! They originally didn't have me grouped with the honors students (which affected my schedule) but they quickly worked out the mistake and apologized and I got right where I need to be. The perks of being in the honors program (after the first semester) are that you will get to select your classes at the same time as the graduate students and before even the seniors, but for now, we get the last places, just like everyone else.
Some highlights of schedule-making:
~I was in College Algebra on my first schedule. I cringed. I am not good at Algebra. I asked if I could change to Honors General Statistics, since I loved Stats and it really clicked for me. The guy I was working with (Cameron) was able to switch me with just a few clicks! Hallelujah! No Algebra!
~Because of my high English ACT score, I could opt to take Accelerated Composition. Now usually classes that begin with "Accelerated" anything get shied away from, but I really enjoy English classes, so I don't think I'll mind.
~I need a fine arts credit for Gen. Ed., and I asked to flip from the one I had assigned to me to Ethnographic Film Study, which is a 2.5 hour class on Thursdays where you watch and study movies! Booyah! However, I might not be able to stay in that class, since it goes from 2-4:30, and Marching Band is every day from 4:10-5:15. (They overlooked Marching Band while planning my schedule, but that should be the only conflict. I'm going to call them Monday.)

Here's my schedule as it currently stands. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are going to be full, but I think it'll make planning study time easier on Tuesdays and Thursdays!
MWF:
8-8:50 (Fridays 8-8:25): Computers and Information Technology
10-10:50- Intro to Mass Media
11-11:50- Accelerated Composition
1-1:50- General Statistics
TR:
1-1:50: Freshman Seminar
2-4:30- Ethnographic Film Study (tentatively!)
Daily:
4:10-5:15: Marching Band!

I would like to point out the fact that, yes indeed, I have an 8 a.m. class MWF. I heard a lot of hype about 8 a.m. classes, and I don't quite get it myself because, if I'm not mistaken, for the past 13 years, you've had to get up and go to class at 8 a.m. every morning. Maybe it's just the people who want to go drink and party every night, and in that case I say good riddance!
I would also like to say I'm a little bummed I don't have a history class this semester. I hope I have one soon. There's an Honors History class I would really like to take.
Final point, I'll be adding my Spanish minor soon. That way I can dive in to my Spanish classes and not lose too much of what I learned. They just don't have them to being with. You have to go request a minor.

1 comment:

  1. Ethnographic Film Study sounds like the bomb.com!! This post makes me excited for orientation

    ReplyDelete