My room number is 608. 6+3+8 (Since zeroes are threes for some reason. Honestly, Kara. At this rate I'll never understand math.) So if Google is right (Yes I looked it up instead of going through the trouble of thinking. It's a Saturday, don't judge me.) that means 17 things. Let's get started.
1. I am thankful for the cliched first choice but still important family. I wouldn't be where I am or who I am today were it not for the three people who were suckered into living with me for eighteen years, sixteen in Garth's case. They support and make fun of me. They know my quirks and curiosities. They mock my incessant obsessions. And I wouldn't have any one else doing it.
|Summer vacation, 2008. We all like this picture because we're all hot and sweaty.|
There's a story my parents told me. It was shortly after Garth started school. They went over to a family friend who worked as a counselor in a high school. They asked what they could do as parents to help their kids in school. And his advice? Stay together. No no, my parents said. We want to know what we can do. And the family friend said "I know. Stay together." They did. And I know that's saved me in more ways than I will ever know.
|Spring Break, 2013. First time at Zombie Burger.|
4. I am thankful for Pintrest and tumblr. For those of you who don't know, Pintrest and tumblr are social networking sites. Pintrest is mostly known for having do-it-yourself crafts and recipes, and I don't really know what tumblr is known as by normal people. But I do know that I don't use Pintrest as I described. I use both these forms of social media quite similarly: for the things I love.
And sweetie? I ain't gonna be pinning or blogging anything about how to make doilies. No. I'm the one who floods the dashboards with hundreds of pictures of fan art, screencaps. and snapshots of my favorite characters, fictional couples, movies, TV shows, and books.
I'm thankful for these because I know I can sit back and pin three hundred things at once if I want to. Some people stress while stressed. Me? I pin and reblog. And I'm thankful.
I get both my stuff aimed at kids, and the TV shows about stuff that goes boom.
|August 2012, Navy Pier, Chicago|
While working at the South Des Moines Veterinary Center, I learned about being a team player and the meaning behind the phrase "hard day's work".
These lessons have gotten me pretty far already. I can only imagine where they'll take me next.
8. I am thankful for my best friend. I met her a little over a year ago at a summer camp, and at the time she didn't quite know where she wanted to attend college. Thankfully, she chose the same school I now attend. I don't know what my life would be like if I hadn't met her. She's a complete joy to be around, and I love spending time with her. Be it after our astronomy lab or shopping for feminine delicates, it's always a fun time.
9. I am thankful for my church. Yeah, I go to the number one party school in the nation. (Which is all I ever seem to say about Iowa City. Maybe I should work on that.) But my church is fantastic. I love the people who attend, and Salt Company, the college ministry, feels like a second home.
So thanks Patsy, Leah, Erin, Ash, and Jey. I couldn't have done this without you.
|Not an actual picture of everyone. An actual picture of all of us doesn't exist quite yet.|
13. I am thankful for Mexican food. Because yes. It is that good.