Sunday, August 24, 2014

Perspective

Sophomore. Weird to spell, weirder to say.
It's hard to believe I'm a year out from being new to college.
This year started out just like last year... with Band Camp!
Lots of music rehearsals and outdoor marching practices happened. (Check out some great pics here! You should really take a peek! :) )
However, this year was definitely better than last year, and it's all about perspective.
Last year, I knew no one and I actually sat in my dorm room at the end of each day and just stared at the wall. I was so lonely that I called my family every night and usually cried some too.
This year, I haven't had a dull evening, or a sad one either. I spent the first one hanging out with friends and having adventures, and every night since has had something going on!
Last year, I didn't know what I was getting into. The BMB was new to me, not to mention the drumline. I was scared and felt like I was constantly pulled from one place to another because I just didn't know how stuff worked.
Leadin' the section
(Photo cred to Lauren Bolt)
This year, I have a much better handle on things! The BMB is like family, and it was so great to be able to be able to welcome so many new freshmen to drumline. I am the bass drum section leader, which has been a neat position to have. I really enjoy working with everyone and being able to help them learn how things work.
Last year, I came to college worried about how I was going to earn money. I needed a job, but no one would hire me. When I did end up getting a job, it was definitely not a good fit for me.
This year, I came to college knowing that I have 2 jobs, both of which I enjoy. Being the music librarian has been great because I can make my own hours, and I know I'll enjoy being an accompanist too!
Most importantly, last year I felt like I was all alone at first because I didn't know anyone and was in a completely new place.
However, this year, I was excited to come back to all of the friends I hadn't seen in 2 months. I didn't realize how much I was used to seeing everyone so much every day.

Remembering where I was at last year has kept one thing at the forefront of my mind: Many Freshmen are in the same spot that I was; lonely, confused, lost, and trying to get settled in a completely new place. Now that I'm in a place where I can be a leader, it's been neat to be able to be the person I would have liked to meet as a Freshman. I had so many people come up to me as a Freshman and just be nice, and I can only hope that this year's Freshmen feel the same way about me and the other members of the band.
I can't wait to see what this year holds! If this past week has been any indication, this year getting started on the right foot (the left one, of course [band humor])! I know that some great things are in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment